Salade des Gourmets
Ingredients for Salade des Gourmets
Currently displaying quantities in US Imperial Measurements
How to Cook Salade des Gourmets
- Wash and dry the salad leaves and break them into small pieces about 1" - 1½" (2.5cm - 4cm) across. Spread these on four large plates so that the plates are covered in a single layer of leaves.
- Cut the foie gras, smoked salmon, smoked ham and magret de canard (if you can get it) into pieces about 1" - 1½" (2.5cm - 4cm) across. Distribute these on the plates, on and between the salad leaves. Cut the cherry tomatoes and grapes in two and similarly distribute them on the plates.
- Prepare the vinaigrette... Mix the oil and mustard in a bowl, add the raspberry vinegar (you can use balsamic if you can't get raspberry) along with a shake of salt and a few twists of freshly ground pepper. Mix well and then add the honey.
- Pat the scallops dry and cut off the small side muscle, if present (normally it's removed by the fishmonger). Don't confuse this side muscle with the pink coral. The coral should be retained. This recipe is suitable for (1" - 1½") sea scallops rather than the small (½") bay scallops (queenies).
- Melt the butter in a frying pan (skillet). Add the scallops to the pan and cook for 1 - 1½ minutes on each side over a medium-high heat. Remove the scallops and add the prawns to the pan; cook for about 1 minute, turning frequently (this is just intended to warm them).
- Give the vinaigrette a final stir and drizzle over the salads. Distribute the warm scallops and prawns on the plates and serve with a good white wine (Beaumes de Venise or other quality Muscat).
GRAHAM'S HOT TIP:
Avoid using hickory smoked ham. The flavour is too strong and will overwhelm the delicate tastes of this superb dish.
Reviews of Salade des Gourmets
April 29 2014
Absolutely stunning both in appearance and taste. My guests absolutely raved over it, insisting I tell them all the 'dark secrets' (including that gorgeous raspberry vinaigrette). I couldn't get hold of magret de canard so simply bought a good duck breast, cooked it and allowed it to cool, then sliced it. It worked fine. And my husband and I enjoyed the remains of the foie gras the following day!
The scallops and prawns were just warm when they arrived at the table and I'm pretty sure that's what's intended. The flavour was just amazing. This isn't the sort of salad you would make every day. It's very simple, but not exactly the cheapest. Having said that, if you are entertaining, it's an absolute party stopper!
StellaRudd (3 reviews)
What To Eat Tonight
Italian food has a great reputation for a very good reason - it's great food! Don't miss the chance to cook Italian with us.
Oh, bacon, bacon, bacon. What can we say? Seen by many as a true gift from the gods, bacon is just so tasty, so versatile and so more-ish.
No time like the summer for those lovely light meals that can be quickly prepared. Get some sunshine into your life with some great recipes.
Other Salad Recipes
This simple Potato and Egg Salad mixture provides both substance and colour to your salads. Once prepared it will keep for a further two days.
Ceviche, is a great starter for when you are entertaining. It looks like you've spent hours preparing it, but it can be on the plate in minutes.
Probably most of us are accustomed to including tomatoes with our salads. A normal tomato, though, can be made much more appealing with this recipe.